If you live abroad

If you live abroadThere’s a little more paperwork if your home is in a different country, even if you’re British.

If you are both British nationals living abroad, or if you are both British nationals but just one of you lives abroad, you can apply for a Common Licence to marry in a Church of England church on the basis of having one of seven legally-recognised connections with it.

To see what those connections are, read more here.

The Vicar of the church will help you with the Common Licence application so you need to contact them first.

To find a church in any area of England, use the search below. If one of you is a foreign national, read more about what you need to do.

Also in this section

Mixed faith marriages
When can I marry in church?
Your children are welcome
Information for same sex couples
Why marry in church?
More than a wedding venue
Booking a church
Meeting the vicar
Seven steps to a heavenly wedding
Wedding ceremony words
Wedding blessings
Preparing for marriage
Marriage after divorce
Filming a wedding
Can Catholics marry in the Church of England?
My partner believes in God but I’m not sure – can I have a church wedding?
I’m not christened – can I have a church wedding?
Information for foreign nationals
How do I find my parish church for reading banns?
Can a vicar from a different church take our wedding?
Special Licences
Common licences
Do we need a marriage licence?
Superintendent Registrar Certificates
Choices for your wedding ceremony
Countdown to your church wedding
Can I marry in church?
I don’t go to church – can I have a church wedding?
Finding a church
The cost of church weddings
Legal requirements