Special Licences

Special licencesA Special Licence represents exceptional permission given by the Archbishop of Canterbury to get married in a particular place. It is relatively rare to require one.

If you want to marry in a church outside your own parish, and genuinely feel that you have a connection that is not covered by any of the legally-recognised connections, then you may be able to apply for a Special Licence.

Another typical example of a case to apply for a Special Licence is if you’d like to marry in the chapel of a school or college where you used to attend. Because they’re not parish churches, a Special Licence is required to make weddings legally possible there.

Talk to the vicar who should be able to help you with the application, which is sent to:

Faculty Office of the Archbishop of Canterbury
1 The Sanctuary,
Tel: 0207 2225381

The fee for this will be around £325.

We want to help you find a way to marry in your preferred church but Special Licences are not automatically granted. Be sure to plan well in advance of your wedding to expand your options.

Also in this section

Your wedding and Covid-19
Mixed faith marriages
Information for same sex couples
Booking a church
Marriage after divorce
If you live abroad
Information for foreign nationals
Do we need a marriage licence?
Can I marry in church?
The cost of church weddings
Legal requirements