Superintendent Registrar Certificates

Superintendent Registrars Certificate

A Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate is another alternative to having banns read. Read on for an outline of what to expect when applying for one.

The application process for a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate (SRC) involves the publication of a notice at the civil Register Office of the district where your marrying church is.

You’ll need to find out from your vicar if you need an SRC. If you do, you’ll need to allow enough time ahead of the wedding for the application and approval process so that it can be shown to the vicar in good time.

Here are the main facts about SRCs:

  • All marriages of nationals from countries outside the European Economic Area which take place in England must have a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate to go ahead. The only exception to this is if a Special Licence has already been granted.
  • The vicar of the church where you want to marry has the discretion whether or not to accept a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate. If you think that this route is necessary for you, you should speak to them in the first instance.
  • To apply, the bride and groom must have been resident for seven days’ within a registration district in England or Wales before applying for the Certificate.
  • After receiving your application, the Registrar enters the details in a book which is open to public inspection and also displays a notice for 28 days at the Register Office. If no legal reasons to delay or prevent the marriage going ahead are shown within that time, a Superintendent Registrar’s Certificate can be issued.
  • For couples where one or both of the parties is a non-European national with limited immigration status or not here legally, the civil registrars will be required to refer their marriage notice to the Home Office for potential investigation. To allow time for the investigation, the Home Office may extend the notice period to 70 days. Those with indefinite leave to remain, or a marriage visitor or fiancé(e) visa will be exempt from this referral and investigation process.

For more information about applying for an SRC, visit the Government’s web page. Contact details for local (civil) register offices and designated register offices are given. Each register office will usually have its own website explaining the procedures in greater detail.

Also in this section

Ceremony Planner
Your wedding and Covid-19
We had our reception in church too
Our wedding was a gift from our guests
The rehearsal
Professional photography at a church wedding
Renewing your vows
Your children are welcome
Reading of banns
Additional readings
Other music for your wedding
Wedding ceremony words
Wedding blessings
Preparing for marriage
Wedding vows
Filming a wedding
How do I find my parish church for reading banns?
Can a vicar from a different church take our wedding?
Special Licences
Common licences
Do we need a marriage licence?
Bible readings for your wedding
Choices for your wedding ceremony
Hymns for your wedding
Countdown to your church wedding
The cost of church weddings
Legal requirements