More churches to choose from
There could be several churches to choose from for your wedding.
Lots of people marry in their own local church, but we know that you might like to marry in a church away from where you live because it has special significance for you through family or other connections.
An engaged couple can do just that if either of you can show just one of the seven connections with the parish listed below.
If you're not sure which is your local church, type your postcode into the box below to find it. If you want to search for a church in a different place, type in the place name and churches in that area will be listed.
You can marry in a CofE church if you can show:-
That one of you:
- has at any time lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- was baptised in the parish concerned or
- was prepared for confirmation in the parish or
- has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents, at any time after you were born:
- has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
- has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
That one of your parents or grandparents:
- was married in the parish
And did you know that if you move house, you’re immediately connected to the church there? That means you can marry in the church of your new parish.
In all cases involving church services - i.e. going to normal church services, baptism, confirmation or marriage - this applies only to Church of England services. Even if you cannot demonstrate any of the above connections, we want to help you explore whether it may still be possible for you to marry in your special church.
Talk to the Vicar there well in advance to discuss the options open to you.
If you're marrying in a special church that's not where you live, your local church would still love to support you as you prepare for the wedding, and afterwards too. Find out how.